Even though we're not sewing with a strictly defined theme this week, the stash busting theme does lend itself to some fun community participation opportunities: a stash busting game! We'll be tracking our progress this week at The Sewing Circle, so be sure to check out this thread.
So how does this all work? As a motivation to dive into that stash and get sewing, we're going to award points to our creations sewn THIS WEEK based on these guidelines:
Don't forget to include photos!
At the end of the week, we'll total our points up and see who really tore through their sewing room. And of course, the Top Stash Buster gets a prize. It's all honor system, but I know you all are a trust-worthy crowd.
Ok, let's get sewing!
Replies are closed for this discussion.
Love the dress. love the fabric. You look very nice in the dress.
and I totally enjoyed finding out what the bisquit was.. Looking
at the beautiful dress ,made me want to taste the bisquit..yummy.lol
I'm really keen on stashbusting and love a challenge so I took to this one with enthusiasm! My stash, both patterns and fabric, have been getting increasingly out of control so this was the perfect opportunity to do something about it. I am a keen op-shopper and can't possibly leave any vintage fabric behind regardless of whether I think I might use it or not. This has resulted in my having a large collection of vintage floral fabric, despite the fact that I don't really wear florals! I've been sewing like crazy after work this week and my schedule was: Monday night: skirt from 1950s curtain; Tues-Thursday night: dress from vintage bed sheet; Friday night-Satur-day: dress from vintage quilt cover.
This is the skirt I made on Monday night. It was from an old 50s curtain that I've had in my stash for ages. I absolutely love the print however found that its years of being on a window in the sun have made the fabric extremely brittle and prone to holes. I wore it to work one day, came home and had to do a lot of repairs! Here are the details:
Pattern: Based on 1990s Butterick 3404. I've never sewn it before despite it being in my collection for around 2yrs. I made a slight change by making the waist gathered rather than darts (13pts)
Material: 1.5 yards (7.5pts) of op-shopped vintage curtain (10pts) that has been in my stash for about 1.5yrs (10pts)
This is my second creation. It was a really quick, straight forward dress to make (as long as you don't try and follow the multi-view instructions - it got so confusing I gave up!). I think the thing that took me the longest was making the self-cover buttons!
Pattern: 1967 Simplicity 6962. I've never sewn it before (3pts) and it belonged to a friend's grandma. It's a recent addition to my stash - I've only had it six months.
Material: 2.5 yards (12.5pts) of op-shopped vintage bed sheet (10pts) that has been in my stash for about 2.5 years (10pts)
Total: 35.5 points