I recently found a very interesting math equation that produces an excellent result. Here it is: 1 yard of easy care, super soft knit fabric, plus 2 hours of time devoted to cutting and sewing, equals 1 very happy Seam Racer, a.k.a. Kelly.
At that time, I needed a no-fail, instant satisfaction project which was a change out of the ordinary for me, and this skirt was my lucky number. Besides, I had been wanting to make my very own version of the "high-low hem" style that has been out since the first spring fashions emerged earlier this year. The fact that I have been noticing how many 1920's and early 30's styles had the same "high-low hem" made my determination only stronger for me to sew something with that fashion element.
A few of the Pantone Fall 2013 colors are included in the tribal Indie print of my skirt - linden green and samba especially, among other background colors of turquoise and navy.
This skirt, although it didn't call for much skill, makes me feel SO good, it's amazing! I haven't made a new skirt for my wardrobe in so long of a time. I intended on turning my skirt into a one piece dress by sewing a top to the waistband elastic, but the versatility being able to change top colors is much more fun than having another dress.
FABRIC: a poly/rayon blend knit, bought at JoAnn's store on sale
NOTIONS: I used dark navy thread which was on hand already, and only bought the specialty color waistband elastic
TIME TO COMPLETE: only 2 hours, from the beginning of cutting to finished and on myself: I made this skirt on a Saturday afternoon, July 27, 2013
THE INSIDES: both side seams are French seams, while the bottom hem and waistband seams are zig-zagged over (this fabric doesn't fray)
FIRST WORN: I felt so good in my new outfit, hubby suggested taking the family out for a meal of food we don't normally eat, but love: pizza, wings, potato skins, and root beer. Yum!
TOTAL COST: the one yard of fabric only cost $5 and the elastic about $2, so the final cost is $7.00
The skirt portion of dresses A, C, and E was used and adjusted to be turned into my easy knit skirt. Firstly, I straightened out the top of the skirt front pattern so it would go straight across. On the dress, it arches up to the join the bodice center like an upside down V, with five tucks along the front. I kept 4 of the tucks for my skirt front, the two on right and two at left, but eliminated the big tuck at the center to simplify things and keep some fullness. Also, I re-drew a new length onto the pattern. The longest length was too long, and I didn't want to short version, either, so my skirt is in between those two lengths. With all these changes, I still cut out my correct corresponding size. Only one yard (60 inch wide, and folded selvedges in at the center) was just enough to squeeze the two pattern pieces.
Doing the waist band was fun! There were at least 10 different fashion colors of elastic to pick from at JoAnn's, and I can't wait for another project which gives me the opportunity to use a different elastic color as well as this interesting sewing technique. All you have to do is cut your elastic to a comfortable measurement around your waist, add enough (two inches maybe) to securely sew the ends together, then pin and stretch both skirt and elastic!
I know one thing...I have not yet figured out how to do a waistband like this without having someone with me to help me. After I pinned the sides, hubby was sport enough to hold my skirt and elastic stretched out together so I could work at pinning the waistband in place. Two rows of zig-zag stitches later, I was done and amazed - its nice to have an easy and uncomplicated project every so often. By the way, the flower isn't part of the belt - it just clips on for an easy decoration.
Look at the waistband picture above at right - there is a side seam going through the design, I just matched it up really well. The other side isn't matched up as well, but I'm o.k. with that because my finished project is just too good for me to care.
A historic village in a different part of town was the perfect spot for a Sunday afternoon of letting our little tyke play in the dirt and take some photos. I don't know if I was enjoying being out more than him, but the picture below shows our little guy giving me quite a look. Just HAD to add this outtake - it's so cute!
I would like to make one last observation regarding the pattern, Simplicity 1659, which I used for my easy knit skirt. I couldn't help but see a resemblance between the long style dress with the open sleeves (view E) and this original Chanel creation from the 30's (see pictures below). I makes me wonder about the amount of fashion that comes around every so many years and sneaks its way back in without people ever suspecting. There is a temptation for me to adapt Simplicity 1659 into a Chanel imitation, but, if I do, it won't be anytime soon.
So many projects...so little time!