Ok so it doesn't really look very 70's, but having just joined the group I was keep to have a go at one of the challenges. I didn't have any 70's style patterns/materials nor the time to go out and buy any so I thought I'd have to sit this one out - then I remebered that I had this Clothkits skirt sitting there and thought that at a pinch I could shoehorn it into the 70's theme with the following excuses:
1. It's a Clothkits skirt (admittedly a new one though) and they were a very big thing in the 70's (in the UK at least, recently revived) selling childrens/womens dressmaking kits.
2. It's courdroy and you can't get a more 70's fabric than that (well ok, bri-nylon maybe - but who wants to wear that?)
3. The Rob Ryan design is a kind of modern interpreation of the folksy/hippy designs that were around in the 70's (ok stretching it a bit here).
Anyway those are my excuses and I'm sticking with them. This was supposed to be finished Friday night, but I tried it on to check them hem and the fit was awful - I suffer from hips 2 sizes bigger than my waist so whilst it fitted fine on them, it was swimming round my middle. I think it is actually designed to sit more on the hips, but with me it just ends up riding up and looking ridiculous with a 2 inch gap around the waist. So I took a deep breath and got out the seam ripper and took it (nearly) all apart again. Still not sure I'm perfectly happy with the fit, but it's a lot better than it was before and as I'm a complete novice on the clothes making front (and also as I just couldn't face getting the seam ripper out yet again) I decided to give myself some slack. Excuse the wonky photo - I could pretend it's an arty shot but it's really just because I can't work my camera stand properly.