The Sew Weekly Sewing Circle

Well ladies, I don't know about you, but I've been following the outcomes of the A Common Thread Project and kinda wishing I could be a part of it, too!  The idea of getting something pretty in the mail from another crafty lady somewhere else in the world and then incorporating it into an outfit holds a lot of appeal.  :-)  Kind of like reinforcing that whole sewing community thing by making a garment that someone else contributed to.

So I've been thinking, and what I was thinking was - how about we do something similar via the Sewing Circle community?  What if those of us who were interested put our (virtual) hands up, and we then did a little out-of-the-hat draw and each of us sent some lace or pretty ribbon or nice buttons or similar to the person whose name we get given.  And then we can each make a garment incorporating what we receive in the mail from someone else in the circle!  Kind of like one big, happy, swapping circle of pretty sewing notions.

What do you think?  Would you be interested?  I'm happy to do the organising (i.e. collect names/addresses, do a random allocation and let everyone know who they're allocated to send something to) if people are keen.

Views: 269

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello all!

I agree it was a very fun swap but I'm really sorry to hear the postal service let some of us down and lost packages.

I agree, a secret Santa could be a lot of fun and would love to do it again. Hard to think about the holidays right now but always good to plan.

Here's my project from beginning to end. I received a lovely parcel from Charlotte Powell Brooks. It was full of all kinds of yummy things…

For my project I went around and around on what to use first and decided on the lace as a great starting point…

So I made this camisole and…

to go with this top and added…

this label in honor of Charlotte's notions!

Amanda D sent me a gorgeous package and I've used notions on three things now.  First of all, the ric-rac on my hula hoop dress:

I've also used buttons on the two denim blazers I've made, one for me and one for my mum.

I want to use some of the lace she sent on a gypsy style skirt, for which I already have the fabric, which was thrifted (I think it's 70's stuff).

Gorgeous!  Love that hula hoop dress - so much fun!  :-)
Ooh, that is so cute!  Love it!  Beautiful touch with the label as well, so sweet.  :-)

yes.  Lets do one for Xmas.  but the "item"s should go  in agreed metres ..  so every have the same.

How about 1 metre of cotton !

I have to say it was a woderful experience and I was lucky to meet my buddy. Would love to meet Morgan as she was so generous !

I'm totally keen for the Secret Santa swap!  I love this sort of thing - so much fun!  :-)

It is miles away though.....  Do we want to do another one in the meantime?  Perhaps something a bit different - how about a pattern swap?  (Of course, we'd have to find one in the size of the person we're sending it to!)

Oh ... what fun the traveling lace notion package was..I have to tell you all something.. Cathe and I talk a lot on here. and I talked and talked to her about  what to put in my package and the size ,etc.. And she was so vague, about her  package..Boy, I tried to get her to talk but for some reason .she was quiet......Guess why?????????  A few weeks later, I go to the mail box.. and to my Biggest surprise....... my traveling lace partner was Cathe!!! She really got me on that one.. what fun..  We both got good laughs on that one..

She sent me the most wonderful package.. Will add my picture..

My package contained goodies that co-incided  with the UK challenge.. So.. I used it and made my UK dress and  low and behold if my other good friend , Charolette T. sent me a UK  meet up happy package..  and I had a beautiful brooch that she made me.I will cherish it forever. and also some yummy tea and socks.. SO I had my own Mississippi UK challenge with all my friends in my thoughts that day..

traveling lace and notions package from Cathe [thankyou Cathe]Uk Package from Charolette t.. [thankyou Charolette]
Forgot to say, I'm in for the 'Secret Santa' and yes, it's a good idea if we agree on the same thing to make it fair.
While no delightful package made its way to my letterbox, the parcel I sent did arrive and that was enjoyable, so I would love to be in the Secret Santa.

Kat I am loving the pattern swap idea!

That would be really interesting, seeing what someone else's idea of what suits us is! 

I have used my travelling notions again Kat, I just posted a pic, the two beautiful seashell buttons, it was a really nice feeling to know you sent them half way around the world just for me. I like the asymmetrical effect they have on my new top.

Thanks again

Cx

RSS

© 2024   Created by Mena Trott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service