The Sew Weekly Sewing Circle

Well ladies, I don't know about you, but I've been following the outcomes of the A Common Thread Project and kinda wishing I could be a part of it, too!  The idea of getting something pretty in the mail from another crafty lady somewhere else in the world and then incorporating it into an outfit holds a lot of appeal.  :-)  Kind of like reinforcing that whole sewing community thing by making a garment that someone else contributed to.

So I've been thinking, and what I was thinking was - how about we do something similar via the Sewing Circle community?  What if those of us who were interested put our (virtual) hands up, and we then did a little out-of-the-hat draw and each of us sent some lace or pretty ribbon or nice buttons or similar to the person whose name we get given.  And then we can each make a garment incorporating what we receive in the mail from someone else in the circle!  Kind of like one big, happy, swapping circle of pretty sewing notions.

What do you think?  Would you be interested?  I'm happy to do the organising (i.e. collect names/addresses, do a random allocation and let everyone know who they're allocated to send something to) if people are keen.

Views: 269

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I have a pile of patterns who's purchase was inspired my notions...but I am finding it hard to choose which to make. I did employ the belt buckle in my butterfly blouse, but didn't tag the picture because I am not sure it will stay with the blouse.

Oh Debbie... I am so sorry ,it got lost ..and Im not the lady ....but I just know ,whoever she is...she will feel awful..  I hate when things get lost in the mail..Sad too!!!

I am working on my traveling lace project right now..  Hope to post it on the 9th.. I think that is when we are suppose to post them...

just had to say ,I'm sorry.

Same goes for me - and if it doesn't make its way to my letterbox, may it find a welcoming home with a resident sewer.
My recipient still hasn't received hers either, and she's closer to your neck o' the woods. I'm hoping it arrives soon. I've offered to send her a new package, as I really would love for everyone to get a package. :(
Hi Seeks, you'll never believe it...my parcel arrived on Friday, 20 May...how many weeks was that??  Thanks so much I love that you researched what season it was here, being Fall/Autumn, yet sent me beautiful items inspired for spring sewing...which let's face it who wouldn't rather be sewing for spring or summer.  Love the buttons, green ribbon and little bells.  Will try to post a picture soon.  Now what to sew.  Oh and thanks for offering to send me more but I had faith it would turn up eventually...and it did!  Yay
grumbly, grumbly...I hate the Scottish post for sending out packages...my recipient hasn't received theirs yet....but it's kind of a blessing in disguise as I just got a bunch of cool notions.  I think I am going to try and send another package but this time from London when we do the meet-up!!!!
Hi Amanda, sorry to hear your news and just to say thanks again for your packet.  I used the 'ric rac' on my Hula Hoop dress and I'm going to use the lace on a gypsy skirt which I'm making out of a 1970's patterned floral sheet!  The rest of the things are ready and waiting ... especially the Mickey Mouse buttons. 
Hi Amanda, so sorry about your family illness.  I know how difficult that can be.. Prayers are with you and your family..

best wishes for your family !  we hope everything goes well and take your time ! ;o)

Kat, where are we posting our photos for the notions? I kind lost were we are now.

Hi Rachel!  Sorry I've been a bit slack in replying - been a crazy few weeks, but now it's time to catch up with all you lovely sewing ladies!  :-)

Looks like people have been uploading them and tagging them as "traveling lace" - there's quite a few in there, exciting!  Am hoping to get mine finished and uploaded in the next few days (terribly enough it keeps getting delayed in the finishing due to the Sew Weekly challenges!  Eek!)

So lovely of you to link to us all on your blog - thanks!  Great to see people's creations in one place.  :-)

I know I already posted this, please excuse me, I am putting it here as well because I am not sure if Kat saw it.... you will recognise the lace Kat, as you so kindly sent it to me, I have finally got my backside in gear and used it, I also have button plans, I really really enjoyed using your lace, made me think how far it had come, what fun and I still have more to use xxxx

RSS

© 2024   Created by Mena Trott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service