The Sew Weekly Sewing Circle

What do you consider vintage and what do you considered retro (in regards to fashion)? I’m actually not sure and did a search on Wikipedia, here’s what it said:

Vintage clothing which was produced before the 1920s is referred to as antique clothing and clothing from the 1920s to 1980s is considered vintage.

Retro is a culturally outdated or aged style, trend, mode, or fashion, from the overall postmodern past, that has since that time become functionally or superficially the norm once again. The use of "retro" style iconography and imagery interjected into post-modern art, advertising, mass media, etc. It generally implies a vintage of at least 15 or 20 years.

Personally I don’t think 70’s fashion as vintage, it just seemed more retro but I really don’t know what made me come to this conclusion. 50’s fashion definitely feels vintage to me but again I just assume it is.

What do you think?

Views: 327

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have the same 'definition' as you.  70's seem retro to me, 50's vintage, etc.  I was actually just thinking about this the other day as I tend to throw the word 'vintage' around more than I do retro.  At the same time, looking at those definitions from Wikipedia, my use of each word has then been 'wrong.' lol  Vintage to me has generally just been 'old stuff' in general, including looks and styles.

Your application of usage of these two words could also be seriously affected by when you were born!  I sure hope that vintage does not refer to the 60s-70s because that would make ME Vintage! Yikes! (A good vintage, naturally - but still.....)

I had the same thought when I was pondering this…being born in the 60's does this make me vintage?? and yes of course we would be a good vintage (thinking wine here)!

Cathe...

I agree totally with you.. Have no reasoning behind me..just feel like the 70's is retro.. and the 30's through the 60's as vintage.???

Like your question.. Made me think about it.. 

I really like the vintage styles ,but also like the 70's . Now..when it gets to the 80's... eeeh.. not so likeable.ha.[But then again--- some one will do a dress on SW with an 80's pattern, and I will love it.. I think it all depends on what  magic a person puts in to the style?

Oh Judy I so agree, 80s…no, no, I'll pass, but then again lots of great things have popped up here (at SW) from that era!
Ish… I'll use Friday as my excuse…should be "versus"! Brain fade when I wrote this!
haha.. we all do it!!! Fridays definitely help it.ha

Agree Cathe,

For me its more like: 1929 and before is Antique. 

1930 to 1969 is Vintage;

1970 to 1989 is Retro.

So what happens after 1989 = Retro?

Modern or contemporary I guess. I can't call something made in the 90's retro just yet, maybe in 10 years!
  Stacey, I agree... 90's is just not ready for retro..How about just "older'.hahaha.
Yes it's the stuff that goes into a holding tank, it hasn't aged yet, it's just dated.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Mena Trott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service