The Sew Weekly Sewing Circle

Even though we're not sewing with a strictly defined theme this week, the stash busting theme does lend itself to some fun community participation opportunities: a stash busting game! We'll be tracking our progress this week at The Sewing Circle, so be sure to check out this thread.

So how does this all work? As a motivation to dive into that stash and get sewing, we're going to award points to our creations sewn THIS WEEK based on these guidelines:

• 5 points per yard of fabric used
  • 10 points for fabric being vintage, thrifted or upcycled
  • 3 points for every pattern used that you've never sewn before
  • 10 points for using a pattern/fabric you've had for more than a year
  • 20 points for integrating a SCRAP (not a piece of fabric you cut) less than 1/2 yard into your garment

Don't forget to include photos!

At the end of the week, we'll total our points up and see who really tore through their sewing room. And of course, the Top Stash Buster gets a prize. It's all honor system, but I know you all are a trust-worthy crowd. 

Ok, let's get sewing!

Views: 733

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I'll start.

My weekly creation: The "I See Paris" Skirt & Top

3 yards of  plaid pique: 15 points

1 yard of  wool knit: 5 points

Butterick 4985, Burda #121, Butterick 4676: 9 points (patterns I've never sewn

Total points: 29 points

LOVE this outfit!
Mena, I love this outfit!! Your red shoes are divine! :)

Here's my one.  I think I'll call it The Cartoon Eccentric Dress, coz it makes me feel both somewhat eccentric and a bit like a cartoon character when I wear it!

Kinda hard to see in this photo, but it's raining.  Luckily, I happen to have an umbrella that goes with the dress' colour scheme.  ;-)

5 yards of printed cotton: 25 points

1 yard of pale blue cotton (does it count if you used it, then ripped it out again and replaced it?: 5 points.  Maybe.

Butterick B4790 that I've never used before: 3 points

Length of time I've had the pattern - about 2 years: 10 points

Length of time I've had the fabric - a few years, I can't remember how long, maybe around 4-5: 10 points

Total points: 48 (or 53, depending on whether using then removing fabric counts....)

This dress is so BEAUTIFUL! I adore the fabric!!

hey Kat

Im working on the same pattern!! lol, my story would be similar to yours: the first fabric I chose for the front piece didnt work with the rest,  I burned the  second front piece while ironing the darts (not used to working with poly-cottons!) and now have serious fitting issues : ( will try changing the darts around, and adding some widht like you did,  but don't really know how to aproach this. Trial and error I guess.

I do like how yours turned out, I specially like your sleeve and neck modifications.

I bought the pattern a few weeks ago after reading it has been the most sold pattern ever. Funny that I had never seen it done until then.

Yeah, it's kinda surprising that many people seem to have fitting issues with this pattern, and yet it was so popular!  :-/  What issues are you having with fitting it?  (I had to keep doing the put-on, pin, take-off routine for a while at the end!)

I'm looking forward to seeing how your one turns out!  I reckon this is the sort of pattern that you could have a lot of fun with, once you get the fitting adjustments right.  :-)

well, Im still in pinning stage, but taken some fabric of the shoulders have helped. It just swims in the bust, so I played with the side dart but that moves the armhole grrrrrrr, also I shortened the length by about 10 cm, but I did that at cutting stage. 

Now my plan is to check what other have done in pattern review, since you  mention it seems like a sensible thing to do.

I do love the skirt and the whole idea of it, I can see me having a few mixes one day, if the future is bright!

I am kicking this pattern around as well...with some valentines day fabric<3
Ooh, that sounds cute!  Post photos when you're done so we can see it?
Gorgeous!
Love this! Such a pretty fabric and I adore the apron front!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Mena Trott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service