The Sew Weekly Sewing Circle

Do you change your serger thead to  serge your seams, when you finish your garment seams? Or do you leave white on there all the time??

I really hate to see white thread on  a solid color..It just makes the inside look  so ugly..[Just my opinion]..  But, I also ,hate,hate to change 4 spools of thead when I change colors?  

So,  I was wondering, what do you girls do?

Views: 6157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Judy, you'll find this as no surprise since you know me so well, I change the color per fabric. My serger seems to like the attention of changing thread and usually runs at her best with a change. She is a very picky girl!
I don't have a serger Judy, but I get annoyed enough changing to a zigzag stitch on the machine.....

I change colours mid way through a dress and back again if necessary Judy!. Although I do a big sigh first!  - the more I do it the simpler it seems, as I just knot on the new colour and pull them through... very rarely does something come undone and need 'serious' re-threading. I keep overlocker thread in white, skin tone, black & red. I seem to get by with just these... although I've been thinking of adding a blue to the collection.

To finish seams I only ever have 3 spools on & one needle. I only use 4 threads & 2 needles if I'm sewing knits using overlocker only.

I am with Casey - I change colours all the time, and yes - sometimes a few times per garment - I like the inside to be neat.  I too use only 3 threads and one needle unless I'm doing knits or lightweight cottons.

The thread I buy (for the overlocker only) is Birch 1000m spools of cotton (they are around $2, so cheap) to colour match to the fabric I am using - or if I don't have 3 matching spools I wind thread onto bobbins and use those.  I tie the threads on and pull them through - rarely do I have to thread from the beginning, and even then it isn't a hassle.  I think threading the overlocker looks scarier than it really is!

I do the tie/pull through as well!  Once I learned that trick changing thread became a less daunting task and I happily change our thread.  I also work with knits a lot but I have a lot of trouble getting the tension right on the fourth thread (that second needle).  I need to take all my machines in for servicing, I just can't bear the thought of being without them for two weeks!

Thankyou all..  I too change colors.. I just have the basics-- white, black,red and tan.. But my serger has  some connectors ,where I can change to regular spool threads if need be.So.. if   its an odd color, I just use regular spools of thread.

I wondered was I the only one that changed the thread?? I just hate when You open up a garment and see the white thread..eeeh. Doesnt look very well..

Great tips on just using 3 spools,,Will try this.. thankyou ..

I have white, cream, grey and black overlocker threads and will change if needed, but do find that I tend to unconsciously pick fabric that will work with whatever is on the overlocker. Although I can get lazy.  My summery jacket does have white overlocking when I could have changed to the cream. (oh it was close enough lol)

I hate having the white colour if it really stands out.  I also hate changing the threads.   But in order to save time, I cut the threads at the spool, put on the new colour, rejoin the white thread and the new colour with a small knot and put through as far as possible.  Generally it means just rethreading the needles rather than redoing the whole threading up process.  I hope this makes sense.  If I am going to the trouble of making something I want it to look as good as possible, inside and out.

I do love the overlooker (Brit word for serger) as it saves hours of time.  If I find a nice piece of fabric, I just overlook the edges and hey presto a new table cloth.  Saves hours of time neatly hemming and does the job perfectly.

You know, its no wonder why it takes me so long... I actually first sew, then serge my seams...ish!

Yea Cathe, I mainly do this too.. unless it is a seam..that just you cant get to after you sew it up? ha.

Do you have lots of colors of serger thread?? I only have the basics..Guess I should  get more.?

I change my thread to match the garment - I'm so used to doing it I don't find it at all daunting to re-thread my overlocker.  :-)  I've got various sets of thread for my overlocker (four spools in a colour) - burgundy, blue, navy, black, white, grey, green, yellow......
I leave all the same colour... because once you change a thread you need to adjust tentions...  Or they are white/beige or black...

RSS

© 2024   Created by Mena Trott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service