The Sew Weekly Sewing Circle

Here's a space to introduce yourself .

Views: 3851

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello from the UK.  Clare here.

Sewing in some form or another has always been part of my life, dressmaking, repairs, alterations and then nothing - a 3 year wilderness.  My sewing machine was ready to leave home, such was its neglect.  Rooting through my wardrobe the other day looking for my "good" coat I found a coathanger bedecked with a half finished cord jacket.  I was ashamed - in my younger days fabric would not languish for long before it was made up, and 100% of my wardrobe was made by me.  Now it is sadly nearer 25% and I think that is an over estimate.  So the challenge for me is to finish that jacket and refurnish my wardrobe.  Hoping that my skills aren't too rusty, and that I can find the pattern insturctions!  Wish me luck.

Hi Clare, I'm up early too on Saturday. Get that machine cranked up and you'll never look back - a wardrobe full of couture garments what more could we ask for? Have a good year sewing.

Much good luck to you and your endeavours Clare. Can't wait to see the finished product :-)

Hi, I'm Laura. I've been sewing for almost 8 months! I'm a software engineer in my day job and started sewing because I saw all these awesome things appearing in my feeds and thought I could do it too! Sewing also keeps me away from the keyboard in the weekend - I used to play video games and my left wrist suffers because of this.

I discovered Sew Weekly last summer - I don't think I need quite that many clothes (engineers wear jeans and t-shirts), but I would love to participate in as many challenges as I can. 

Nothing to say you cannot make yourself some new jeans and tops to go with them Heh, heh!  But seriously sew up on some nice tops to wear instead of t-shirts and then try making yourself some trousers, if jeans seem to 'scary'  Colette does good patterns and last autumn she did a sew-along for her trouser pattern and there are some brilliant posts about how to get them to fit. 

Hi, I'm Casey.  I sewed a few small quilts when I was about 8 but didn't keep sewing consistently.  About a year ago, I began sewing my own clothes and other random items.  I am excited to complete the Sew Weekly Challenges since they will make me create things that I may not have tried otherwise or thought that I could wear.  I am a year away from graduating with my music education degree and have been trying to sew more professional clothes that I could wear while I am teaching. 

Hi,

I have been sewing since I was 8 and made knickers and a shirt in 4-H. Though it's been about 30 years, I still consider myself a beginner because I'm always learning new techniques and trying to master the old ones! In the few months I've been following The Sew Weekly, I've been inspired to really start sewing for myself on a regular basis.  I'm ready to take on some of the challenges (and  post pictures the resulting garments). Thanks for the inspiration...you all are amazing!

Oh, um. I just saw this after writing an "about me" post on my blog. Is that ok? Should really poke around more before doing stuff!

Hello there. My name is Frankie. I live in Auckland, New Zealand.

I have been sewing on and off since I was young, about 8 maybe, so close to 20 years! This year I wil be studying garment constuction and pattern making at the NZ Fashion Tech so by the end of the year my sewing skills should be a lot better.

Signing up for the Sew Weekly challenge is a bit scary but I am going to do my best to stick with it! Here goes nothing...

This is my second year of sewing clothes and already I have learned a multitude of skills.  Some of these I owe to my wonderful co-workers at Hancock Fabrics in Rapid City, SD.   Most have been learned by trial and error (sewing then un-sewing) which is how things stick in my head.  The majority of my thanks here is to my wonderful Grandmother Ruth Sayler, who taught me the basics of sewing during those one on one days and nights together in her small home.  She may not have been loved by all but I cherish her to this day and all she has taught me.  In visiting her over the holidays, I wondered if she actually knows how important those skills have been in my life now.  Her memory is fading and it saddens me that I am just now picking up interest in the hobby she lived and breathed.  Her legacy will live on in me and I pass down my knowledge to friends as much as I can.  

I am currently a graduate student in Geology at the School of Mines and Technology in Rapid City, SD.  Finding time for my hobbies is a struggle but, I can sleep when I am dead.  I live with my wonderful boyfriend Colin, and kitties Lewis and Clark.  All three of them show tremendous support in my sewing addiction.  Last year I made more clothes for myself than I ever imagined I would!  It has been such a fabulous year of learning and I anticipate tailored and fitted garments in the year to come! 

Hello! I am Janey, I am from Sydney. I am a wife, a mum and a teacher. I have just started sewing, because I LOVE 50s inspired clothing, and it is so so expensive! I have played with a few patterns, had some success, some very big flops (mostly learning  how to make things fit right, my measurements are all over the place size wise), and called my mum to rescue me many times! I am hoping to make most of my own clothes- I love being a bit different :)

Delete

Hello,

My name is Kristl and I have been sewing since I was a child, like many of you I am sure. I have a degree in theatre and most of my time was spend in the Costume Shop during my college years. I was the Artistic Director and General Manager of a lovely small theatre in Alabama for many years until I moved to the Atlanta area. I am currently with an online fabric retailer.

I am surrounded by fabrics at work and at home. I am so lucky to have a room devoted to creativity at home. I wish it were a pretty room, but it is merely functional. I suppose I am more inspired by the fabrics and the projects than the surroundings. Every once in a while I think I'll decorate it, but I don't.

I have always loved fashion, style and clothing. I can remember being in my teens and waiting impatiently every spring and fall for the new Vogue magazine to appear in the magazine racks at the grocery store. At that time, the magazines were a couple of inches thick, and trends and hemline lengths were clear cut. I think I like it better now. Women are not so much dictated to, as we are encouraged to take a fashion risk or make a small update to our wardrobes.

I look forward to the inspiration and fellowship Mena's site brings to the sewing community. And, I love the dresses!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Mena Trott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service