The Sew Weekly Sewing Circle

Here's a space to introduce yourself .

Views: 3637

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi there,

I'm Ruthanne from Ottawa, Ontario (yay Canada!). I have been following Sew Weekly for most of the last year, but haven't come in and checked out the groups and forums until now. Like a great many people, I have great intentions, but don't get near as much sewing done as I want to. I guess I'm quite an external deadline sort of gal. I have had my sewing machine for about a year and a half and have been doing the self-taught thing so far. My entire reason for learning how to sew is to make vintage style clothes. I love, love, love 30s - 50s styles, but I am pretty hard on my stuff, so wearing actual vintage kind of gives me the willies. Worked in museums too long to not stress about ruining things that are truly OOAK. Sewing my own is the perfect solution, I get exactly what I want in style, fit, fabric etc. with no worry about wearing things out. I have started a small vintage pattern collection and I have plans (and all the materials) for a bunch of projects. So, I figure committing to do the sew weekly challenges will give me the kick in the pants I need to get sewing!

Hi everyone!  My name is Brandy and I live in Nashville, though I originally hail from the swampy backwoods of South Louisiana.   I got my sewing start at the age of 15 in a modest little high school sewing class and occasionally sewed projects as a novice over the next decade.  About a year and a half ago I started devoting more attention to my hobby and sewing is now a huge part of my life.

I dream about sewing, do little happy dances when I find out about fabric stores, and drool over beautiful dresses on sewing blogs.  When I'm not doing these things, I'm hanging out with my hubby and our pet kitty, reading lots and lots of books, and sometimes wearing my other hat, which belongs to a librarian. 

Hello everyone,

I am Djamila from Berlin, Germany. I have been following Sew Weekly for a few months - found the site when I decided to motivate myself for sewing by finding a nice sewing community online. I have been sewing since I have been 15 and I used to make all my clothes myself. I even took pattern drafting classes and started to design my own patterns. In 2008 I had a son and ever since then it started to get hard for me to juggle my job (I am a freelance translator), my family, sewing and sleeping. For the last few years, I have translated more sewing pattern instructions than actually sewing myself. My selfmade pants fell apart one after another. Last spring I had to say good bye to my last (favorite) pair and I had no time to make new ones for myself. Buying pants is no option when one's hips are 2-3 sizes bigger than the waist...so I wore nothing but sweat pants for a few months (easy when you work in a home office). Around July last year - my son's 3rd birthday - I got finally fed up with the situation and I swore that I will sew more  so that I can finally have a unique wardrobe again like I used to have when I was a college student. No more sandbox clothes for me!I have a pretty good set of pants again but that's just the beginning...

I have had trouble signing up to wordpress (still get error messages at times) so I haven't completed the first challenge yet but I hope I'll finally get arounf to it tonight.

I look really forward to being part of this community.

Hi and Happy New Year everyone. I'm Ruth from Seattle and new to this community. I'm ready to start sewing for myself again after years of sewing gifts. I've put it off thinking I'll get to it when I'm the perfect size. Well...time has come to sew for the size I am and all of you here in this community are especially inspiring. I'm hoping to have some clothes with some style in my closet by years end. I'm looking forward to seeing all your projects. Ruth prohaska :)

Hello from the UK.  Clare here.

Sewing in some form or another has always been part of my life, dressmaking, repairs, alterations and then nothing - a 3 year wilderness.  My sewing machine was ready to leave home, such was its neglect.  Rooting through my wardrobe the other day looking for my "good" coat I found a coathanger bedecked with a half finished cord jacket.  I was ashamed - in my younger days fabric would not languish for long before it was made up, and 100% of my wardrobe was made by me.  Now it is sadly nearer 25% and I think that is an over estimate.  So the challenge for me is to finish that jacket and refurnish my wardrobe.  Hoping that my skills aren't too rusty, and that I can find the pattern insturctions!  Wish me luck.

Hi Clare, I'm up early too on Saturday. Get that machine cranked up and you'll never look back - a wardrobe full of couture garments what more could we ask for? Have a good year sewing.

Much good luck to you and your endeavours Clare. Can't wait to see the finished product :-)

Hi, I'm Laura. I've been sewing for almost 8 months! I'm a software engineer in my day job and started sewing because I saw all these awesome things appearing in my feeds and thought I could do it too! Sewing also keeps me away from the keyboard in the weekend - I used to play video games and my left wrist suffers because of this.

I discovered Sew Weekly last summer - I don't think I need quite that many clothes (engineers wear jeans and t-shirts), but I would love to participate in as many challenges as I can. 

Nothing to say you cannot make yourself some new jeans and tops to go with them Heh, heh!  But seriously sew up on some nice tops to wear instead of t-shirts and then try making yourself some trousers, if jeans seem to 'scary'  Colette does good patterns and last autumn she did a sew-along for her trouser pattern and there are some brilliant posts about how to get them to fit. 

Hi, I'm Casey.  I sewed a few small quilts when I was about 8 but didn't keep sewing consistently.  About a year ago, I began sewing my own clothes and other random items.  I am excited to complete the Sew Weekly Challenges since they will make me create things that I may not have tried otherwise or thought that I could wear.  I am a year away from graduating with my music education degree and have been trying to sew more professional clothes that I could wear while I am teaching. 

Hi,

I have been sewing since I was 8 and made knickers and a shirt in 4-H. Though it's been about 30 years, I still consider myself a beginner because I'm always learning new techniques and trying to master the old ones! In the few months I've been following The Sew Weekly, I've been inspired to really start sewing for myself on a regular basis.  I'm ready to take on some of the challenges (and  post pictures the resulting garments). Thanks for the inspiration...you all are amazing!

Oh, um. I just saw this after writing an "about me" post on my blog. Is that ok? Should really poke around more before doing stuff!

RSS

© 2019   Created by Mena Trott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service