The Sew Weekly Sewing Circle

Here's a space to introduce yourself .

Views: 3637

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to sew weekly.So proud you joined us. Happy sewing.

Hi everyone, My name is Ann-Marie, or more commonly, Ree. I've been sewing since I was 7 and I wanted a Laura Ashley Party dress but I grew up in a poor family so that wasn't going to happen. So mum and my Grandmother made a couple for me out of cheap cotton and I was hooked on the concept of turning something flat into something with shape in a few hours! Even today at 33 years of age, the concept still amazes me. I live in Western Australia and have worked in several fabric stores, and have even had my own business making Wedding dresses. I now work from home making costumes (I'm a belly dancer) and doing sewing jobs for people. I am known for having a disgustingly huge stash (staff discount in fabric stores is really BAD for space in your home) and this coming years task will be get rid of 2/3rds of it by making, selling, giving away. The hardest thing I have to live with that affects my creativity is that I am bi-polar. for 7 years I was on a large amount of medication for a depressive episode and 5 months ago I came off of medication all together. This means that when I go into a mania, I will sew non-stop, sometimes for days. I can make several outfits in a day. The issues with this is that after the mania subsides I crash and need to sleep for a week which gets me quite depressed. The stuff I create though sometimes blows me away so it's hard to contimplate going back on meds and possibly losing that ability.

This year I started a blog www.theblueartisan.net in an effort to document how I do things. The reason I am doing this is because about 4 years ago I had ECT done and I lost my memory. All up I lost about 4 years of my life. I don't remember meeting my husband or our wedding or all the beautiful wedding dresses and ball gowns I used to sew (or even the techniques I used!) :( When I see the odd photo of that time it feels very strange as there is no memory attached to that picture, I might as well be looking at a stranger! So I have learnt the value of documentation!  A false memory is better than none in my opinion!

The blog is very messy and needs alot of work but now that I am no longer working full time I hope to create something awesome, a resource not only for me, but for others too!

Hey Ann-Marie, Welcome. One of the things I love about this sewing community is the huge range of life experiences that every has to offer. I very much look forward to seeing what you create and hopefully seeing you relearn some of your lost techniques. Cheers and Happy Sewing.

welcome to sew weekly..  We have lots of fun and look forward to your postings.. hope you have lots of fun.There are some really nice ladies on here.. Happy sewing.

Hello, I'm Adriana.  I found Sew Weekly from a link on someone's sewing blog project page.  I've been looking around the site, and I love the format.   I can't wait to participate in one of the SewWeekly challenges.  What an inspirational group!

As for my sewing story, I started sewing as a child when my grandmothers taught me to thread a needle.  Both grandmothers of mine were actually very into sewing as a hobby.  I was a helper on many dresses, home decor items, and coordinated outfits for me + my teddy-bear.

Throughout my youth we made our Halloween costumes, formal dresses, holiday outfits, etc. and I started taking on my own projects in my teens.  Then I took a formal course in Costume Design in University which cleaned up my craftsmanship... upholstery courses... then Craftsy courses... and now via several blogs, BurdaStyle, and now theSewWeekly; I keep myself informed and inspired to sew.

You can see my projects on my blog Adri Makes a Thing or Two which chronicles my knitting design, sewing, illustration, graphic design, and paper projects.   Nice to meet you all!

Welcome Adriana - so nice to meet you too! There's some amazing work on your blog that was great to see so I'm looking forward to seeing what you make with the Challenges. Cheers and Welcome.

Thanks!  I'm so glad I found your Sewing Circle!

Welcome to sew weekly. Look forward to seeing what you make.. Happy sewing.

I started reading Sew Weekly about the time Mena made those 7 dresses in 7 days and was "hooked." I finally got up the nerve to post a picture during Purple week of my Made in 1970 Velvet Dress. I am very impressed by all your talents and can't believe all the great outfits that come out of sheets and tablecloths! For many years now I've been quilting, but I'm definitely switching back to clothes! (I'm OK with zippers and buttonholes too.) Can't wait to wear out those pretty sheets I bought last week so I can make a dress!

Cant wait to see those sheets turn dress..  So proud you joined sew weekly. Happy sewing

Hi Janice.

cant wait to see  your new sheet dress.. Happy sewing and welcome to sew weekly.

Hello! I joined up a few months ago but completely forgot to introduce myself! My name's Elena Cresci - I've been sewing for just over two years now (I think!) since I taught myself how to using the wonders of the internet! I'm currently a trainee journalist at Cardiff University and running a blog called Seamless, which documents my sewing progress. As a part of the blog, I started a pledge not to buy any new clothes until I finish the course - akin to Wardrobe Refashion! I decided to extend the pledge out to the rest of the world, and it's been lovely to see people sign up!

Sew Weekly was on my bookmarks for aaages, but I fell out of touch with the sewing blogosphere for a little while before getting back into it this Summer - I love how the project has developed! I'm looking forward to chatting to everyone and seeing what you guys get up to :)

RSS

© 2019   Created by Mena Trott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service