The Sew Weekly Sewing Circle

I was working away on my UFO (A Pendrell blouse with draped sleeve) and was almost finished when I came across this horror:

Sorry for the blurry mobile phone photo! There are two holes that I've tried to mark with pin heads. There's also my blue cutting mat showing through where the holes are. The fabric had a number of holes in it to start with but I thought I was really careful when cutting my pieces to avoid them.... It is possible that I accidentally cut these holes myself! It's not a complete disaster though as the holes are right at the top of the shoulder and will be covered by the draped sleeve.

However, I've never really sewed with synthetic fabric before and so have no idea how to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas? All I could come up with was using lightweight fusible interfacing on the back...

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was just going to suggest that very same solution ...
Hmmm... I just tried that but the iron-on interfacing really didn't want to fuse to the synthetic fabric. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I don't want to put the iron on too hot and risk melting my top (which is now finished except for the hole repair...)! I knew there was a reason I didn't sew with synthetics!
Use some fabric glue to stick a matching piece of fabric underneath and then carefully hand stitch with very tiny stiches around the pattern to keep it in place?

Just had another idea - I once had a jumper with little ribbon bows sewn at random on the sleeves.  Could you get some little white ones and do the same?  You could put little glass beads at the centres where you sew them on to make them extra pretty.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Mena Trott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service