The Sew Weekly Sewing Circle

Hi everyone.  I'm looking for a picture of one of those 1940's dresses that were advertised as a 'make it in the morning, wear this afternoon dress'.  I think it was open in the bac then you wrapped everyting around to make a neat looking dress.  I saw a picture ages ago on the web that demonstrated how to put one on.  I just need a picture of something like that so I can try and copy the idea.  Maybe it was a 30's dress, in which case I'll have to wait til a 30's challenge.

Thanks

Sarah Day

Views: 291

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is this similar to what you were looking for?  If it is I'll post images of the back of the pattern.  

Not sure - could be? - thanks.

Hi Sarah

This is "The Walkaway Dress" from Butterick, recently reprinted. I think it's actually from the early 1950s rather than the Forties, but it's the concept you mentioned - it wraps. Look at the line drawing on the bottom right!

I love this and I did buy the reprinted pattern, but I quickly realised that it is unlikely to work without era-appropriate undergarments, therefore I have set the pattern aside for the time being.

I have been looking at vintage patterns on eBay UK this week and saw a few similar to the one Leimomi posted, but they were wrong size for me.

Hope this helps :)

Yep that's the one - thanks.  if I can find the link to how to wear it, I will post.

Thanks for this one, it's even lovelier than the Fifties! I am on a Sixties kick with my patterns at the moment.

I just noticed how the sizes changed between the 2 pattern issues.  50's has bust 32" , size 14.  60's has bust 34" , size 12.

After  looking at a discussion on Gertie's blog, I don't think I'll be making one for me.  Might make a scaled down version to see how it works or I guess I could try and make one for my older grand-daughter.

That is a good idea, I believe the full-scale Fifties one calls for five yards of fabric, which for me means budget issue, and it  must weigh a ton.

Wow, 5 yds of fabric is a lot for an experiment!  I use Wild Ginger software for my patterns and you can print things out at 1/2 scale or 1/10 scale.  The 1/10th scale would fit a dolly at work!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Mena Trott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service